I got tagged by the ever awesome Whitney over at Dear Jesus for this one. The premise is to list ten movie facts about yourself and then tag some people.
(The Count is my favorite.)
1. My sisters and I tormented our parents as kids with approximately 10,987,134 viewings of E.T., Dirty Dancing and Follow That Bird. My father cannot stand any more of Follow That Bird anymore, ever. I believe if he is ever forced to see it again, he may have a complete psychotic break. It remains one of my favorite movies from my childhood. I have since come to understand how my father felt after an estimated 974 viewings of Finding Nemo with my nephew.
2. Speaking of my parents, if you were a movie loving kid, my parents were great to have. They pushed movies on us that we bitched endlessly about (read: black and white) or movies that weren’t necessarily popular at the time. I think I have a broader appreciation for movies because of that. Also, they let me watch The Blues Brothers when I was really young, something that I think qualifies them for the Cool Parents Hall of Fame or something.
3. I do not like very many romantic comedies. There are exceptions, but I have problems with the way women are portrayed in a lot of them. The prime offender in this category is stuff like Pretty Woman, which has so many problems, if I had to list them all we’d be here all day. I find it slightly odd that shoes!dresses!makeup!mentroubles! end up being shorthand for what it means to be an (usually) American woman.
4. I hate 2001: A Space Odyssey. THERE. I said it. I CANNOT HELP IT. May I never have to watch it ever ever ever EVER again.
5. The older I get, the less I like John Wayne.
6. I have cheerfully deranged reactions to people who have similar movie tastes to mine when I meet them in real life. I can get a little over-enthusiastic. If I ever meet you, reader, in person, I’m sorry in advance for the fact that I might appear to have snorted Pop Rocks in the bathroom.
7. I worked for Blockbuster for two years. After spending days listening to the same five minute trailer reel on loop eight hours a day, the following movies can go die in a fire: Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Grizzly Man, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Closer. God, the worst was that Diary of a Mad Black Woman trailer. I listened to it every work day hundreds of times a day for months.
8. For a movie buff, I rarely go to theaters. This is because I hate going by myself, and usually no one I know wants to/has time to go see a movie. So I catch everything on DVD.
9. Number of times I saw Titanic in the theater: 5. At least I got more awesome the older I got, what can I say? And looking back, why in the holy hell did I find Leonardo DiCaprio attractive? He looks like a squished ferret.
1o. The movie I have gotten the most mileage out of quoting? Zoolander.
Tag, you’re it:
Allison @ NerdVampire’s film blog
JD @ Valley Dreamin’
And you, YES, you!, if you feel so inclined.